I would like to present one of my latest project : The Waikiki dress!
I made it with a printed coton I found on a fabric website
Doesn’t it look like it comes from the 40s? And it was at sale price : only 10€/3meters!!! I feel really lucky sometimes haha!
When I found it I immediately got those lovely 40s-50s pictures popping in my head :
I looked through ebay and etsy to find the perfect sarong dress pattern. And I was really surprised when I saw the results. Especially this one, the Butterick 6056 which is sold between 100 and 225€ !!!!! Seriously? 225€ for a pattern ??
It doesn’t look like using complex technics. Maybe it is rare, but this is definitely a crazy price for a pattern to me!!
So, I chose to look through the patterns I have, and tried to make my own.
I finally used this top pattern (the black one) :
And this straight skirt pattern.
The skirt was from a plus size pattern, so I had to resize it to fit me. And I changed the straps and joined them behind the neck. These were really easy to make, even with the alterations. Although I changed it a lot, I think the waist is still a little too wide. But I was afraid it wouldn’t be confortable if it was too close to my size, as the cotton is not elastic at all.
A few details :
As you can see, I am really happy with this dress haha!!
I can’t wait to wear it and dance with it in a concert!!
Thanks for reading!
And see you soon, I have many other projects to show you!! And a big one on the go!!